[CentOS] Live CD?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 18:02:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 13:20:02 Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> Drives that we have had good
>> luck with include: Samsung, SONY & LG. Other's probably work just as
>> well. We have other TEAC drives, but they are the last TEAC drives we
>> will purchase.
>>
> I would add Lite-On to the list.  I've had several, including a stand-alone
> DVD recorder, and been highly satisfied with them.

Actually, I said (and it's true) that the burner was a Pioneer DVD
+/-RW DL 18x, with which I have so far had pretty good luck.  It turns
out that the image was bad, which I missed....

The reader is a Teac CD-540E CD drive, but the original iso image that
came down was no good.

>> The CD-R media I usually buy are Imation or Verbatim. Never had a
>> problem. There are probably other brands equally good.
>>
> Memorex to a range that they call "Memorex Professional" - about 10% more
> expensive than their basic range.  I've found that I can let K3B run
> full-tilt on them, doing a fast burn and getting good results.  Prior to
> finding them I always had to throttle back.

I'm somewhat fond of TDK, but their newer, high-speed (16x+) DVDs have
been pretty iffy for me - the old ones (4x), and their CDs, are rock
solid, and the newer Memorex and Sony discs have been fairly reliable
for me (but Costco only carries TDK - foo).

Thanks.

mhr