[CentOS] Compact Flash..

Peter Farrell peter.d.farrell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 09:31:33 UTC 2008

It's easy. Look - you can get an IDE -to- CF adapter for about a fiver.
Get a 4 or 8 GB CF card and install it on IDE 01.

That's your main drive.

Set up your other drives in what ever config is necessary. Solo,
Software RAID, whatever.

Do your install. Either use the partition editor, or boot into Knoppix
and run gparted to format your other drives.
After install - edit that FSTAB to make sure everything is in order.
For example, on one of the other drives you could set a
mount point as '/data'.

Configure MySQL.
*database can be anywhere, NFS share or other FS. It doesn't matter as
long as you configure my.cnf to tell MySQL where to look.
Here is one of my production machine's my.cnf using databases from a
/data partition (which is on a RAID FS).
Although MySQL is installed at /usr/local - the databases are all on /data.
Read you man pages and have a noodle through the MySQL website for
declaring options for my.cnf

[client]
port=3306
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
log-bin=example-bin
server-id=4
port=3306
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
query_cache_size = 200M
set-variable = key_buffer_size=512M
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=2M
set-variable = max_binlog_size=20M
set-variable = record_buffer=200K
set-variable = net_buffer=100K
set-variable = max_connections=1000
set-variable = thread_cache_size=20
set-variable = thread_stack=128K
innodb_data_file_path = data/mysql/innodb/datafile01:10000M
innodb_data_home_dir = /
set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /data/mysql/innodb/
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=10M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
innodb_log_arch_dir = /data/mysql/innodb/
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=128M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
default-table-type = innodb
log-slow-queries = /data/mysql/slow-queries.log
ft_min_word_len=3
set-variable = wait_timeout=604800

[mysqldump]
quick