[CentOS] Help, PHP/Mysql connections are so slow.

Pro Green European pro_green_european at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 10:37:33 UTC 2008

The query log on the database server tells me that there are around 20-30 seconds between each data request from the webserver to the database server. Accessing the same database from another server, Apache/CGI/Mysql or even through the mysql command line is fast, and there are no 20-30 sec delays.

Apache & PHP are the default x86-64 rpm packages that comes with CentOS 5.1:

httpd-devel-2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3
httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3
httpd-manual-2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3
httpd-devel-2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3

php-mbstring-5.1.6-15.el5
php-ldap-5.1.6-15.el5
php-cli-5.1.6-15.el5
php-gd-5.1.6-15.el5
php-common-5.1.6-15.el5
php-5.1.6-15.el5
php-pdo-5.1.6-15.el5
php-mysql-5.1.6-15.el5
php-pear-1.4.9-4

The php.ini file is located in the /etc/ folder.

I also have the same identical site accessing the same database on the same mysql server, running on a CentOS4 server without any problem. Reason for switching server is that I need PHP5 support, and as the CentOS4 based server is a production server, I cannot compile PHP5 from source and use that on the server. I have It is a mystery ;)

I'm starting to wonder if this is a broken hardware issue...

Regards,
/mysteron