[CentOS] Chroot'ed SSH

Alain Terriault alain.terriault at mcgill.ca
Mon Jun 9 13:00:49 UTC 2008

easy way to get sshd ver.5 installed on centos5
http://fs12.vsb.cz/hrb33/el5/hrb-ssh/stable/SRPMS/
rpmbuild --rebuild openssh-5.0p1-1.el5.hrb.src.rpm
worked for me .. but honestly, has excited has I was, I do not find
chroot to be that useful .. if I remember correctly, the chroot
directory has to be owned by root and was not possible with my setup.

alternative
"scponly" from from the EPEL Repositories
(http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/)
will give your users secure file transfers access without a terminal

my favorite
"rssh" rssh is a restricted shell for use with OpenSSH, allowing only
scp and/or sftp. For example, if you have a server which you only want
to allow users to copy files off of via scp, without providing shell
access, you can use rssh to do that.

hope this help
alain