[CentOS] School Server Setup

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 05:26:35 UTC 2008

Harry Sukumar wrote:

> I was wondering if you can help me little bit....
>
> I am trying to help (voluntary service) a country side school
> (Aboriginal community) in Northern Queensland Australia setup lab
> infrastructure, it's a very remote school and they don't have enough
> funds to go commercial
>
> The school has only till grade 6
>
> They have 25 machines that was bought out of the government grant but
> none of the machines come with windows
>
> I was asked by the school president to setup lab infrastructure
> currently they have Internet (Dynamic) with only two machines connected
>
> I have asked them to change the plan to Static IP address which I
> presume will be done some time this week
>
> I have decided to go Linux on all the machines including the server
>
> Could some one please cast some light on how I can carry on with this
> project, I am not sure where to start and I am fairly new to Linux and
> system administration world
>
> Currently what's in my mind is to setup fedora on all desktop and
> CentOS5 as my server with following services configured

If you have one machine that could reasonably act as a server, you could
load k12ltsp (a CentOS based distribution that adds the ability to
network-boot thin clients and some educational programs) on it and be
done.  In any case you might find the information here useful:
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page along with their mail list.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com