RE: [CentOS] Confirming grub installation

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Tue Jun 10 14:19:34 UTC 2008

Peter Farrell wrote:

> 2008/6/9 Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com>:
> > I have two drives in a software mirror.  Other than setting the
> > bios to boot from the second drive, is there any way to confirm
> > that grub is installed properly on the second drive?
>
> When installing CentOS - sometimes the RAID-1 /boot partition, usually
> /dev/md0 fails to boot.
>
> The bug is known and exists on the bugtracker for CentOS as well as
> RedHat.
>
> The fix is to re-install GRUB on on each partition of the RAID-1
> array.
>
> I think you could use the same method to answer your question.

  <SNIP>

> If you then want to test it, disconnect one of your drives - or just
> drop into grub  at boot
> and tell it to boot from the partition of another drive.

I already know how to install grub on the second drive.  The issue is
that this is a production server and I'm trying to avoid rebooting it if
possible.

I'm looking for a way to determine whether grub is installed on a drive
WITHOUT having to actually attempt to boot from it.  If I redo the
installation, then I can be sure it's installed, but if it's already
there, I'd rather leave it alone.  There's no point in messing with it
if it's already installed.

--
Bowie