[CentOS] Newer GNOME than base release

Dan Halbert halbert at everyzing.com
Tue Jun 10 19:18:42 UTC 2008

MHR wrote:
> I have trouble believing that the ONLY ways to get a newer GNOME are
> to wait for CentOS 6, run a different distro (not likely) or build it
> myself.  This is Linux, after all, isn't it?  (That's a rhetorical
> question - no answer required, unless those /really are/ the only
> options....)

I am not sure you can have your cake and eat it too on a single machine.
At the very least, building a newer Gnome for CentOS 5 sounds like a big
timesink. There are probably all kinds of library issues.

If you'd like the latest desktop apps, then perhaps it would be easier
to choose Fedora or Ubuntu for your desktop, and connect to your more
stable CentOS 5 servers remotely. Or, run Fedora or Ubuntu in a VM.

Dan