[CentOS] Re: Re: Not seeing all memory in CentOS 5.1 x86_64

Ruslan Sivak russ at vshift.com
Wed Jun 11 18:24:26 UTC 2008

nate wrote:
> MHR wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM, henry ritzlmayr <centos at rc0.at> wrote:
>>
>>> I evaluated VMware Server myself (v1.0.3) and at that time, Disk I/O was
>>> pretty bad within a virtual machine. The only solution I found was XEN
>>> with paravirtualization. Has there been any progress on that with later
>>> releases?
>>>
>> I couldn't say - I mainly use VMWare so I can run the two or three
>> Window$ applications I can't get (or can't find for a good price) on
>> Linux.  Performance is not really an issue, and most of the disk
>> access I do is via samba to my host disks.  I avoid using the virtual
>> disks as much as possible.
>>

> I came across this a couple days ago
>
> http://blogs.vmware.com/performance/
>
> May 22, 2008
> 100,000 I/O Operations Per Second, One ESX Host
>
> Maxing out 500 15k RPM spindles with a single host. I didn't think
> that was even possible. Granted this is ESX and not VMware server
> (previously known as GSX), but ESX is pretty cheap these days,
> the foundation version gets you a ton of stuff minus hot migrations
> for $999(per 2 proc) (used to be about $3750). I think the
> enterprise edition (~$5k per 2 proc) is overkill for most uses.
>
> nate

If I was going to pay for something, I would probably get XenServer.  I
really liked the management utility, and I think the performance was OK,
I might need to test the performance again.  It's also only $1k or so
for the standard edition (and have a free express edition, which only
supports 4GB of ram).

Russ