[CentOS] INN with SSL

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu Jun 12 10:49:51 UTC 2008

David Hláčik wrote:
> Hello, on a INN mailinglist i have found , that in order to use INN over SSL
> i need to call another instance of nnrpd like this :
>
>   su news -c '/usr/local/news/bin/nnrpd -D -c
> /usr/local/news/etc/readers-ssl.conf
> -p 563 -S'
>
> I am using INN from official centos 5.1 rpm .
> My question is, where to init scripts /etc/init.d/inn or somewhere else put
> such a line to have INN listening on 563 for SSL connections?

I'd really use it the way you're told to do it in the nnrpd manual page:
Run it via xinetd. nnrpd takes close to no time coming up, so you don't
need to have it there as a daemon.

This has two advantages: You can change readers.conf and others and it
will pick up the changes on the next client connecet - and it can be run
as user news via xinetd, which is not possible when you run it
standalone, as it has to be run as root to bind to port 563.

Ralph