[CentOS] Network FS w/o user setup

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Jun 12 11:39:57 UTC 2008

Ted Miller wrote:
> Is there a file system + configuration that will let me share a
> directory, and anyone who has access to something in that directory on
> the server will also have access (and lack of access) to the same files
> from the client? Clients will be Centos5, Win2K, WinXP.  Server is Centos5.
>
> To put it another way, all users have accounts on the server.  I don't
> want to have to set up ANY user information on the server, other than
> what I set up to control local access.  I just want to say "Share
> /vmware" and have it available, to the same users who can access it
> locally.
>
> With Samba I have to maintain duplicate user lists, password lists, and
> share access lists.  I have not been able to find a clear instructions
> on how NFS4 handles this, but what I found didn't seem any better than
> Samba.
>
> I don't mind implementing ACLs on the server if it will do what I need,
> but I can't find anything that says it will save me any work either.

Well, since you want to set up shares ... and since you want to share
between Windows and Linux machines, and to share for windows you will
need to use samba.

Since you can also set up linux to use a samba client, that would
probably be the best method to "share these files" ... if you expect to
just oepn them via a file manager on all platforms.

You can also do NIS (and NFS) for linux and samba for Windows if you prefer.