[CentOS] Re: raid1 disk format?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Thu Jun 12 19:14:39 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> You can't beat dd for getting everything exactly the same regardless of
> what you changed - or just splitting the mirrors and letting each sync
> to new partners but then you have to reinstall grub.  I prefer
> clonezilla for non-raid configurations but most of the machines I care
> about are configured with raid1.

Well, actually dd isn't so good in this area. dd will do the whole disk
no matter how much data is actually stored on it and for a 500GB disk
that can take a lot of time. It also doesn't take into consideration
any disk geometry differences.

A better way is to use kickstart script to automate a network install
and then to use dump/restore to load the user/application data back.

With remote access cards and vnc kickstart installs this can even be
done remotely on a headless server even without a technician present
to power it on or off.

-Ross