[CentOS] USB Wireless device for CentOS?

Sun Jun 15 21:06:32 UTC 2008

On 6/15/08, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Terry Polzin <foxec208 at wowway.com> wrote:
>>
>> Anything that has the Zydas chip set just works so long as you've
>> installed
>> the firmware which I believe is available with v4x, 5x as an RPM
>>

> Interesting - the google page for zydas usb units lists nothing by the
> big names (netgear, dlink, linksys or belkin) and only the "off"
> brands like TrendWARE and Zonet.
>
> Also according to google hits, the zydas driver is incorporated into
> the 2.6.18 kernel, so it should already be in CentOS 5.x (yeah!).
>
> I'll post what I find....

Check out the specs on the Netgear and other web sites, to see if you
can find out which chip they use. If not, send an email to their Sales
or Tech Support Department and ask which chip they use in the unit(s)
you are considering.  So far, I don't think we've ever had a failure,
with anything from Netgear, but other companies make good products
too.