[CentOS] booting usb stick

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon Jun 16 14:49:37 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to get a usb stick 8G to boot centos.
> I am as far a it boots and hangs at "Switching to new root".
>
> I take the same USB stick and put it another PC and it boots fine.
>
> What might I look for as to why the machine hangs at switching to new root?
>
> Of course the machines are different. The one that does not boot is an
> ebox 2300sx and

Vortex86SX integrates the RISC core that contains all the features of
the 486SX microprocessor, and the instruction set of Vortex86SX is
compatible with 486 as well, so please directly select 486 as the
processor family in the Linux kernel setting.

CentOS does *not* support that processor class, for CentOS 5 you need
i686 upwards (as even i586 does not work).

Ralph