[CentOS] apt on Centos 5.1

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jun 18 12:52:45 UTC 2008

Mike wrote:
> Just read on planet centos that you can easily install apt on Centos too using yum.
>
> However, I get :
>
> [root at mike-2 ~]# yum install apt
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> Nothing to do
>
> So not sure what I am missing ..
>
> And sorry if this isn't the right place to ask :)

Linux and CentOS are about choice.

Dag is a CentOS Developer and he does like apt.  I'm sure Dag (and
others) can help with apt questions here.

That said there are alot of features in yum (like fastestmirror,
priorities, installonlyn, and repoquery) that are not available in apt.
  There are also probably features in apt that are not in yum.

Apt may easy to install and user friendly ... heck, it may even be
better than yum, however it is not officially supported.  The officially
supported way to do updates on CentOS is yum ... and yumex is in the
CentOS Extras repo as a GUI based system for updates.

You can certainly ask about apt on CentOS here, though most of the
CentOS developers use yum and the QA testing we do is with yum and not apt.

This is not meant to be negative about apt use, just point out that yum
is the official way to do updates.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes