[CentOS] Single crontab entry for every 15 minutes beginning & ending on the hour

Jeff

jlar310 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 17:11:17 UTC 2008

We have a cron job that needs to run every 15 minutes throughout
business hours. The first run is at 8:00, the last run is at 17:00. Is
it possible to specify this time range in a single line?

*/15 8-17 * * 1-5  will run 8:00 - 17:45. That's not what I want.

Likewise

*/15 8-16 * * 1-5  will have the last run at 16:45, not 17:00

This is more of a brainteaser than a real problem. I can easily
configure the job with multiple entries, but I'm a little
obsessive-compulsive so I want to try to do it with one entry.

# rpm -qa vixie-cron
vixie-cron-4.1-49.EL4

--
Jeff