[CentOS] custom kernel cant find label /

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Jun 18 17:21:10 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I installed centos 4.6 on a USB thumbdrive.
> It installed and booted after install.
>
> I then put a custom kernel on, build it as I should,
> on rebooting and selecting my kernel to load from grub I it starts up
> and all
> and the last error I get is:
>
> label / not found.
>
> What went wrong?

I'd guess your boot line has something like "root=LABEL=/"
and you dont have a filesystem which is marked as label = /

To start, you could either label a filesystem as '/' or, you can just
change that root= line to point at a real filesystem.

Also, I can see you are still doing your old "ask on the list rather
than actually work out what the problem is" trick :/