[CentOS] remote access info please

Monty Shinn montys at videopost.com
Wed Jun 18 18:41:00 UTC 2008

Gary wrote:
> Hi ya'll,
>
> I built a new CentOS 5.1 server for a client, housing a Lotus Notes / Domino
> server, and various other virtualized IBM software server guests, and soon
> will have to physically move that server to another distant location.
>
> My question is that I will need secure access to those servers via X, not
> just the C/L terminal. What do you recommend for a good secure CentOS
> program which would do this. Would also want to access via a high port, but
> I am sure just about any program will allow this to be manually configured.
>
> Thanks for your help and input.

Gary,

You can run X apps over ssh if you use the >> -Y << option.  You can
also configure ssh to use a non-standard port in it's config page.

I also believe you can port (tunnel?) VNC through ssh, but I have only
heard about that, so I may be off here.  VNC is part of the standard
CentOS distribution.

HTH,

Monty