[CentOS] Re: Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /phpMyAdmin/ on this server.

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jun 18 19:06:24 UTC 2008

on 6-18-2008 10:32 AM Herta Van den Eynde spake the following:
> Environment:
> - CentOS 5.1,
> - Apache 2.2.3
> - php 5.1.6
> - phpMyAdmin 2.11.6
> - MySQL 5.0.22
>
> Brand new system, brand new installation of all the above products.
> All looks well, but when I try to connect to phpMyAdmin, I get an
> error:  "Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /phpMyAdmin/
> on this server".
>
> I'll forgo all the paths I followed trying to get this to work and cut
> to the "solution":  I renamed the phpMyAdmin directory to pma, copied
> all files in the pma directory to a new phpMyAdmin  (FWIIW, using 'cp
> -pr'),  and voil�, problem vanished.  (I cannot explain why I even
> tried that.)
>
> My first idea was that maybe the copy somehow resolved some issue at
> the directory level, but when I output an 'ls -laR' of the two
> directories to two files, 'diff' shows both files to be identical
> (apart from the timestamps on . and .. directories).  The pma and
> phpMyAdmin directories reside in the same documentroot, have the same
> ownership, and the same permissions.
>
> This must be about the weirdest experience in my professional career.
> If anyone can shed a light on this, it'd be most welcome.  I still
> have the original (malfunctioning) directory on the system to bounce
> ideas off if anyone has any inspiration (system will go live this
> weekend).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta
Just a side note, but "pma" is one of the directories the script kiddies
hammer on my servers regularly. You had better hide it better than that, or
make sure it isn't accessible from the "world".

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and