[CentOS] remote access info please

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jun 18 19:17:47 UTC 2008

Gary wrote:
> Hi ya'll,
>
> I built a new CentOS 5.1 server for a client, housing a Lotus Notes / Domino
> server, and various other virtualized IBM software server guests, and soon
> will have to physically move that server to another distant location.
>
> My question is that I will need secure access to those servers via X, not
> just the C/L terminal. What do you recommend for a good secure CentOS
> program which would do this. Would also want to access via a high port, but
> I am sure just about any program will allow this to be manually configured.
>
> Thanks for your help and input.

How about tunneling X11 over ssh (ssh -X). Or one of the VNC variants
(I think one or more support encryption, or you could do ssh port forwarding).

If you go the SSH route make sure that X forwarding is enabled on your
server(/etc/ssh/sshd_config), from what I can tell the default in
CentOS 4.6 is enabled, I imagine it is enabled in 5.1 as well.

nate