[CentOS] Trouble brewing in dmesg... any ideas?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Jun 19 00:05:23 UTC 2008

Rob Townley wrote:
> dmesg > dmesg.log
>
> or
>
> cd /var/log/
> ls -lat | more
>
> i liked the old days when dmesg, /var/log/messages and other syslog stuff
> was displayed automatically on a tty console.  I tried a softlink from
> /var/log/messages to tty9, but didn't have any luck.  Would it require a tee
> or a mod to dmesg?

Should be able to control this in your syslog configuration, I
prefer syslog-ng myself, but the regular old syslog can do this
too I believe.

>From my Debian Etch's /etc/syslog.conf

#
# I like to have messages displayed on the console, but only on a virtual
# console I usually leave idle.
#
#daemon,mail.*;\
#       news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
#       *.=debug;*.=info;\
#       *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty8

nate