[CentOS] Re: remote access info please

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jun 19 05:42:11 UTC 2008

on 6-18-2008 9:17 PM Filipe Brandenburger spake the following:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM, John Thomas
> <gmane-2006-04-16 at jt-socal.com> wrote:
>> I use NX and find it amazing.  I downloaded the RPMs from nomachine.com
>> because I had not found that they are built in one of the repos (testing if
>> memory serves).
>
> I second that.
>
> NX works over SSH so its connection is encrypted by default (you don't
> have to mess with tunnels).
>
> Also, NX response time is hard to beat, and its graphics are better
> than VNC a long shot.
>
> And you have clients for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. The clients are
> really easy to set up (unlike XMing for instance).

Xming was pretty easy to set-up. Run the windows installer, set putty sessions
to forward X, and it just worked. But NX is a better option, but not
necessarily an easier one. What I like about XMing and putty is just getting
the remote window I am running, and not a whole scaled desktop. And I was
already using putty on a daily basis, so it was the least complicated for me.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and