[CentOS] struggling with simple webdav

Craig White

craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jun 19 16:31:49 UTC 2008

Normally I use authzldap to authenticate LDAP users but in this case, I
have a client that wants non-LDAP users to be able to use DAV.

The twist is that there are several virtual hosts on this server and
perhaps that is confusing things...

anyway, my httpd.conf has...

<Location /webdav>
  Dav On
  AllowOverride None
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "DAV-ADV"
  AuthUserFile /var/www/html/passwd/user.passwd
#  require valid-user
  <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
    Require user craig
  </Limit>
</Location>

and my user.passwd works because I can login fine.

but when I try to save a file - say with OpenOffice to...

http://www.example.com/webdav/test.odt

I get this error (always)...
Error saving the document Untitled1:
The object cannot be created in http://www.example.com/webdav/.

but the directory has suitable permissions I would think...

# ls -ld webdav
drwxrwsrwx  2 apache apache 4096 Jun 19 08:33 webdav

so I changed the group on this folder...

# chgrp users-all webdav
# ls -ld webdav
drwxrwsrwx  2 apache users-all 4096 Jun 19 08:33 webdav

which craig is definitely a member of and still the same error...

Anyone?

Craig