[CentOS] ClamAV help needed

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 20 08:45:16 UTC 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008 06:13, Martin Garcia wrote:
> Hi Anne, I have many servers running clamav, simply use the dag repos
> http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/ and install it via yum "yum install clamav
> clamd" then run freshclam, thats it. I presume your configuration is not
> properly done.

It turned out to be not exactly a clamav problem, but a clamtk problem.  I am
using Dag's package, and logwatch has been telling me that everything is
updating.  The problem showed up when I tried the context menu scan of a
file, which clamtk provides.  I contacted the clamtk developer who has been
very helpful.  This morning I have confirmed to him that the problem is
fixed.

For the sake of the archives, this is what he said:
<quote>
Ok, so it dawned on me what the problem likely is... ClamAV has
several methods for signatures it uses: daily.info folder, daily and
main.cvd, daily and main.cld. So, I'm thinking you have more than one
of those in your signatures directory.

If you open up a terminal window and type "ls /var/clamav" (without
quotes of course), I'm betting you'll see a variety of files and/or
directories in there. If you're up for it, as root type
rm /var/clamav/* -rf
which will remove all the signatures. Don't worry, you'll get them
back in the next step. As root, type
freshclam -v
And that will download all the necessary signatures again.

The problem I have is there are a variety of ways the linux distros
package ClamAV, and I have to decide which ones to gather the
information from... I thought I had it right, but your email is making
me reconsider. :)
</quote>

I do wonder if something changed in clamav since I first installed it.  I
remember that an update installed, and I did, for a couple of days, get a
message that the database could not be notified of updated signatures.  I
can't remember how that one got resolved.  Perhaps /var/clamav was left with
an old version and a new version of the database, and was reading the old
one.

Anne