[CentOS] Mounting Floppies

Nigel Kendrick support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 13:54:32 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of William L. Maltby
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 2:16 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Mounting Floppies

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 09:54 +0100, Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> Hi - daft one for Friday morning coffee break:
>
> I have been trying to mount floppies on a couple of CentOS5 servers -
> the usual "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" (yes, /mnt/floppy exists!).
>
> On both servers, the mount command just doesn't come back and I have
> to hit CTRL-C. I have tried different media and also changed the
> floppy drive on one server, /dev/fd0 is seen as present on both
> servers and they are enabled in the BIOS. I have formatted and tested
> the floppies on my desktop PC without problems.
>
> In the end, I gave up, stuck a USB floppy on one of the boxes and it
> mounted with no problems.
>
> So is it me, CentOS 5 or something else? (Ideas, anyone!?). It could
> be a set of duff floppies and three flaky drives (two brand new), but
> I thought I'd ask before I spend too much more time on it!

Here is support - it may not be you. I've successfully mounted and used
FDs on this system in previous kernel releases.

Out of /var/log messages when I did an sfdisk -l /dev/fd0 and
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null count=1.

Jun 20 09:07:54 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:06 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:06 centos501 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical
block 0
Jun 20 09:08:18 centos501 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jun 20 09:08:18 centos501 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical
block 0

My dmesg has

   Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
   FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

If necessary (lack of prompt resolution on these lists) I'll "ribit" to
an older kernel and see what happens. I suggest you might try that.

> Thanks
>
> Nigel Kendrick
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Thanks Bill,

I've had no problems with older systems too - I just don't have one to play
with here at the moment unless I shut down an Asterisk server and fit a
floppy.