[CentOS] Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt

Michael michael at j3ksolutions.com
Fri Jun 20 16:42:17 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 6/20/08, Alwin Roosen <alwin.roosen at webline.be> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>> Kernel 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 on an i686
>>
>> ws174 login: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000005
>> CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
>> Bank 3: f62000020002010a at 0000000032c93500
>> Bank 5: f20000300c000e0f
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
>> Bank 3: f62000020002010a
>>

> Phil or someone else: Do the three (3) "Bank" lines above indicate RAM
> problems?  If not, what do they refer to? Alwin wrote that this is
> brand new HW, so he suspects that it is OK, but it doesn't seem to be
> OK? Lanny

I have the same issue, unresolved. However I am using old desktop
hardware (Compaq Persario, and HP something or another). Maybe it is
memory, or CPU, or some kind of incompatibility with something. I was
just making a list of the hardware that should be purchased to run a
low-end SME server using CentOS.

Rack mountable case, with Power Supply and fans included.
MotherBoard, mid-range processor.
2 Gb RAM
USB Drive 1 Tb
Two 500Gb or four 300 Gb internal hardrives (HW Raid would be nice)
CD/DVD R/W drive
and so on..........

But I don't want to get into the situation above, where I purchase NEW
hardware, and CentOS doesn't like it, and furthermore the resolution is
elusive.

What is the best HW environment for CentOS?
Brand, MFG, chipset rev, and so on....

--
Michael Anderson,
J3k Solutions