[CentOS] 3ware performance in CentOS

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Jun 20 17:47:06 UTC 2008

John R Pierce wrote:

> of course, XFS can also fail spectacularly.    ext3fs fully journals all
> metadata updates.   I'm sure this is a major portion of the performance
> differences on writes.

Actually, I've used XFS since the days it was released as a port to
Linux (and even before that, on Irix, but that's besides the point). I'm
aware it's more fragile than Ext3 - in fact, someone here at the office
made an XFS partition yesterday to do some tests, there was a power
outage last night, and today that partition is corrupted.

I'll use battery backups (duh) and only put on XFS the stuff that needs
good performance, but can be rebuilt from the master data in case
something ugly happens. Like pretty much anything in life, it's a trade-off.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/