[CentOS] how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Sat Jun 21 00:20:19 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure if there's a DRAC 4 device in. It has 2x NIC's, and I
> can set the IP on the top NIC as the management IP. I haven't been able
> to connect to it via a web browser though, nor can I ping it.

Install the OpenIPMI tools, start ipmi, and try to connect using
ipmitool shell

You may need to install some dell specific drivers as well.

Once in the ipmi shell try commands like
sensor
lan print 0 (print's IPMI controller config)

This works for me on the DRAC 5, haven't tried DRAC4, but it works
on other non dell IPMI systems as well for me.

nate