[CentOS] centos 4.6 - 586 install - how to get that to a 486 level if possible

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Jun 21 03:48:46 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Is there a method to get a 586 (i586 text) install  to a 486 level?
> I am looking for information guidance on this.
> I have looked into using debian/386 which stinks in my opinion,
> slackware doesnt quite have it either.
>
> So I am wishing/hoping there is a NOT TO painful way to get a 586 install
> to run on a 486 chip.

This would be almost impossible with centos.

The reason is that there are things that glibc will compile in that are
not i486 compatible

You would be much better off trying to do this with debian I think.

If it were possible, it would be by installing the i386 glibc, i386
openssl and editing the kernel spec file and the config file.

You can try to change the processor type to i386 or i486 and see if it
will work ... however I do not think it is possible on other than
centos-3 to get an i386 compile.