[CentOS] how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Jun 21 14:58:38 UTC 2008

nate wrote:
> Some management systems have additional options which include full
> VGA KVM abilities, I have a demo Dell box with DRAC 5 which has this
> ability though I haven't been able to get it to work. HP systems
> have this ability as well but require an additional ~$300 license
> add on(iLO Advanced), whereas remote serial console is free. That
> and the remote KVM stuff usually requires a browser or a special
> client, whereas remote serial console can be done in text mode
> (the before mentioned system running DRAC5 allows me to SSH into
> it and connect to the serial console that way).

DRAC 4 or 5 remote console shoudl work just fine, I've used it quite
regularlly... the client needs a web browser with java 1.4 or 1.5
enabled as they use a java VNC implementation to 'remote' the ATI
VGA.      this gives you a remote CD and floppy as well as graphical
VGA.   the remote CD can either be the client systems actual CD drive,
or it can be an ISO file.