[CentOS] how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 16:01:23 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> So, how do I actually access these servers remotely? If possible, I'd
>>> like todo it via another CentOS server at the DC using SSH.
>>
>> Dell's usually come with their openmange suite, so you might google
>> for that.  I think a java-enabled browser should connect and get an
>> applet that looks more or less like vnc for console access.  But you
>> only need it when installing remotely or if something is wrong so you
>> can't ssh to the main interface.
>>
>> Dell usually has all their documentation and updates online. If this
>> doesn't help you can probably find the full manual.
>>  ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/readme_160_A00.txt
>>
> Thanx, that link was very helpful. I see they mention the word KVM, but
> I doubt it will give me a full "Keyboard / Video / Mouse" as a KVMoverIP
> device would, or am I wrong? I would basically like to access the server
> remotely, as with a KVMoverIP device if there's any problems with the
> OS, like a kernel update that ran into problems, or something like that.
> Is it possible with these, out of your experience, or not?

I haven't used that exact one, but the ones I have seen would download
java applet to a browser that worked like vnc and does what you want.
If you run their openmanage agent you can do it without the management
NIC, but then the OS has to be running and there's not much advantage
over VNC.  The management NIC will work across a reboot of the machine.

> Dell's site is just too big for me to get any proper answers on this matter

I've found their web support to be excellent if you can get past the
place where they sort out the individual/small/large business users.
Try to find support/downloads and the place where you put in the model
number or their tag number which identifies it completely.  Then you go
directly to everything they have for that device, which might be flash
updates, all the manuals, and any utilities they provide.  I think they
maintain this for everything they have ever sold.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com