[CentOS] recommendations for copying large filesystems

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sat Jun 21 22:06:42 UTC 2008

Am 21.06.2008 um 23:44 schrieb Matt Morgan:

> Then if you get the network sorted out, the fastest & most reliable
> way I know to copy lots of files is
>
> star --copy
>
> You can get star with
>
> yum install star

Now that I know the details - I don' think this is going to work. Not
with 100 TB of data. It kind-of-works with 1 TB.
Can anybody comment on the feasibility of rsync on 1 million files?
Maybe DRBD would be a solution.
If you can retrofit DRDB to an existing setup...

If not it's faster to move the drives physically - believe me, this
will create far less problems.
In a SAN, you would have the possibility of synching the data outside
of the filesystem, during normal operations.

100 TB is a lot of data.
How do you back that up, BTW?
What is your estimated time to restore it from the medium you  back
it up to?

cheers,
Rainer
--