[CentOS] 3ware 9650 issues

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Sun Jun 22 05:38:45 UTC 2008

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> periodically throwing errors like the following:
>
> sd 1:0:0:0: WARNING: (0x06:0x002C): Command (0x8a) timed out, resetting
> card.

Wondering if you have scheduled automatic media scans of all of the
disks in the array? Perhaps you have a disk that is going bad
causing the issue.

Something else that could be related, I was told by someone who
had a Isilon storage system(fancy NAS box), who was having his
WD disk drives hang on him on occasion, when this occured he had
to physically remove the disk from the system and re plug it in.
It was a firmware issue, I don't recall which WD drives he had,
he eventually got a fixed firmware though. This was about a year
ago.

I have media scans run once a week for about 7 hours on my 2 disk
3Ware systems (8006-2 controllers). For a 24 disk system you'll
probably need to run it longer. (unless the newer controllers scan
in parallel, the 8000 series seems to be serial).

I ran a couple 9650 series cards not too long ago, I think they
were just two disk systems running RAID 1 (up to 8 disks, but only
used 2). I've been using 3ware cards for about 8 years now and
have not run into those types of errors you describe. Probably
ran about 350 cards over the years, most of them in the 8000
series.

nate