[CentOS] cannot unmount volume "xxx"

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 00:17:57 UTC 2008

2008/6/21 李晖 <lihuihust at gmail.com>:

> Hi all:
>     I am using Centos 5.1. But now I have a problem when unmount a
> removable usb hard disk with right click and choose unmount volume command.
> When I did that, system reminds me with a message like this:Cannot unmount
> volume "xxx", Detail: Cannot remove directory, "xxx" represents a temporary
> directory made when the system auto mount the disk in /media, and "xxx" is
> simple-chinese. But in fact, the volume has been removed because there're no
> files or folder in xxx.
>     Because the file system type of the hard disk is NTFS, I install
> ntfs-3g and add a script named "mount.ntfs" in /sbin, the content of the
> script is
> #!/bin/sh
> export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8
> exec /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g "$@"
>     I googled this problem for many days and didn't find any way to solve
> this problem. Maybe it is a bug. I hope someone can help me. Thank you.
> --
> Sunny Lee

You may want to double check that all of your CTRL-ALT+Fx virtual consoles,
screen sessions, and Konqueror windows do not have a folder open on the
external usb drive.  For instance, could you have forgotten that in the
CTRL-ALT+F1 console, you cd'd into /media/sda1/ ???

i also second the lsof -a command.