[CentOS] Migrating from RHEL to Centos

Hemraj S

hemraj.sj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 07:07:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

I m currently running my production servers on RHEL 4.6 & would like to
migrate to Centos4.6 as it has more benefits & advantages. I looked at the
Centos release notes available at
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4.6/os/i386/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html and
understood that the basic difference between RHEL & Centos
are look/feel related & binaries,functionalities are almost same. But when i
compared the sysctl values of RHEL4.6 with Centos4.6, i found that there are
lot of differences in the parameter values. Now my question is:

1) Just like sysctl difference, is there any other difference between RHEL &
Centos which could vary the performance & needs to be taken care during
migration.
2) When the Centos packages are built, are they built with the same
configuration as in RHEL or is there any difference.

Thanks & Regards,
Hemraj