[CentOS] is it possible to login to a switch via RS232 / serial port from the shell?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Mon Jun 23 07:10:03 UTC 2008

John R Pierce wrote:

> ....dissertation on kermit deleted....
>

> his problem is that he used /dev/tty0 and not the serial port
> /dev/ttyS0    note the big S.  very important.    /dev/tty0 is some
> kinda pseudothing.    /dev/ttyS0 is the serial port known as COM1: in
> PC terms.

That was a typo in my first post. I am using /dev/ttyS0 - with a bit S :)

I have also noticed that there's no tty* in "dmesg | grep tty" or grep
tty /var/log/demsg

could this be the problem / reason? I'm running CentOS 5.1 x64 with Xen
3.0 kernel

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers