[CentOS] Re: Re: CentOS 5.2 is here!

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jun 24 04:07:34 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>> I'm running Centos-5.1 but am a complete Centos newbie.
>> What is the best way of installing Centos-5.2 ?
>> Is a fresh installation recommended,
>> or can one do a yum upgrade?
>> Or is there any other way of proceeding?

> As a complete newbie, get used to CentOS 5.1 first, there's absolutely
> nothing wrong with it. Then, wait until CentOS OFFICIALLY announce the
> release of CentOS 5.2. Wait for it to be available on their website, and
> on the mirror servers, then do a yum upgrade :)

Well, I assumed from the title of the message that Centos-5.2 had been
"officially released".
I did in fact look on the Centos web-site, and I deduced from that
(possibly wrongly) that Centos-5.2 was to be released a couple of days ago.

When I say I am a complete newbie, I should say that my server
has been running under Centos-5.1 for several months.
I haven't had to do anything to it,
so in that sense I am a newbie.
I have been running Fedora on my laptops since Fedora first came out,
so am reasonably familiar with the general setup.

I like to keep reasonably up-to-date with distributions I am running,
so would like to update to Centos-5.2 as and when it is released.