[CentOS] SME on CentOS, telnet and MySQL

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Jun 24 14:09:14 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> After failing to install on two different machines that were running
>> Windows, I realized that one machine had a bad hard-drive, and the
>> other bad memory. So I've collected the good parts into one machine
>> and installed CentOS with SME. This was the fastest install of Linux
>> I have every seen, 15 minutes done, configured, and running, web and
>> email server. It is a very secure config, no GUI -- just a server.
>>
>> One problem: MySQL and Telnet can't be accessed remotely, ports not
>> open, allow/deny files, something. I've searched the internet and
>> hacked around for hours, can't get these services to work remotely.
>>
>> Anyone here have experience with the SME/e-smith admin tools?
>>
>> By default SME doesn't install Telnet on port 23, only ssh on port
>> 22. So I ran a yum install for telnet, manually started it. I get a
>> response from port 23, but connection refused.
>>
>> Mysql does come installed with SME, however local connections only. I
>> can run mysql client on the command line on the SME.CentOS server,
>> queries work fine, but not remotely.
>>
>> I am using Windows Vista as a  client workstation, Programmer Studio
>> (Whisper Technology) that requires a generic telnet server, and the
>> freeware version of Toad to connect to the MySQL server.
>>

>> Any help to weaken the security on SME to allow remote telnet and
>> MySQL connections will be very much appreciated!
>>

> SME server has their own lists for their products ... just keep in
> mind that since they have modified their products, information you get
> that is accurate for centos may not be accurate for SME server.

I have found that with SME support, more than 60% of the standard stuff
is managed by SME itself, so it could be best to ask this on their forum?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com