[CentOS] DNS query

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 24 15:28:34 UTC 2008

fabian dacunha wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> i have the following setup
>
> CentOS 5 server running as a primary DNS server for a long time and is
> working perfectly fine
>
> the server is on public IP and we have abt 5 zones apart from the reverse
> n local zone
>
> now our sister company have recently setup their own DNS and we are
> supposed to use it.
> earlier our cleints were using a host file
>
> now on my master dns server in /etc/named.conf i created a new zone with
> the following statement
>
> zone "cse.net.kw" IN {
>     type slave;
>     masters { 172.31.1.240; };
>      file "cse.db";
> allow-query { any; }; // the default
>    allow-transfer { none; };
> };
>
> and when i reload the dns server the file cse.db is not created
> also in /var/log/messages i c the following
>
> Jun 24 18:17:41 kmdns1 named[1771]: loading configuration from
> '/etc/named.conf'
> Jun 24 18:17:41 kmdns1 named[1771]: zone cse.net.kw/IN: refresh:
> non-authoritative answer from master 172.31.1.240#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0)
>
> actually i would want all the cleints to query the 172.31.1.240 DNS server
> without adding this IP in their configurtion . all the cleint hav our
> master dns server in their own setup
>
> so actually query 172.31.1.240 DNS server through our DNS
>
> apprecite your help
>
> or cd i have contitional forwarding something like when a client queries
> the 172.31.1.240 our master DNS jus forwards the queries to 172.31.1.240
> instead of sending it out on the internet
> since 172.31.1.0 network is connected directly and is a part of out intranet
>
> really wd apprecite your help and ideas with examples

Well ... having you as a secondary server and having them setup a
"notify" that will point to your server will allow your users to get
updates and not have to look at that their server at all.

Your server could also then be a backup to their server and provide info
if it dies ... until it comes back up.