[CentOS] Upgrade mail server to new machine

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Tue Jun 24 17:17:11 UTC 2008

> I have an old RHEL3 box that I am upgrading to CentOS5. I picked up a
> new Dell Poweredge R200 to use for that.
>
> Is there an easy way to copy all the user accounts and existing mail
> from the old server to the new one?

if local users copy /home/* /etc/passwd /etc/shadow after first making
sure there are no dupes on new system

as for mail - what format is tha mail box in?

maybe as simple as copying /var/spool/something

personally i like to use rsync for this as it keeps perms well if you
ask it to - your tool of choice is your call though