[CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2

Bernhard Gschaider bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Tue Jun 24 19:50:25 UTC 2008

    MAJ> On Tue, June 24, 2008 3:08 pm, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I know that the nvidia-drv-x11-package is from RPMForge, but I
    >> thought I might mention it here.
    >>
    >> I have a machine with a NVidia-card and because of the ease of
    >> use I use the rpmforge-package for that.
    >>
    >> After upgrading the problem was that during rebooting as soon
    >> as the machine hit the RHGB (which implicitly uses that driver)
    >> the machine froze. I booted into the old kernel removed rhgb,
    >> rebooted. Now the machine froze when starting X. Same
    >> procedure: Old Kernel. Remove nvidia-drv-x11. Reboot into the
    >> new kernel and reinstall nvidia-drv-x11. After a reboot
    >> everything works as it used to.
    >>
    >> The cause of the problem could have been (sorry, I didn't do
    >> any thorough forensic) that the nvidia.ko that was used in the
    >> new kernel was a symbolic link from the
    >> "weak-updates"-directory into the old kernel
    >> "extra"-directory. Is it possible that this only works inside
    >> of kernels with the same x in CentOS 5.x ?
    >>
    >> For the other machines I am upgrading I plan to
    >>
    >> 1. deinstall nvidia-x11-drv 2. do a regular "yum upgrade"
    >> 3. reinstall nvidia-x11-drv after reboot

    MAJ> That is exactly what I did and my machine hangs again after
    MAJ> nvidia-x11-drv is installed.

I THINK (but I'm not sure) I maually had to remove the
weak-updates/nvidia.ko and or the extra/nvidia.ko before doing the
reinstall (don't know if that makes a difference). My guess would be

1. deinstall the package in the old kernel
2. remove these links and files in the nex kernel
3. boot into the kernel
4. reinstall package (that should take some time, because as far as I
can tell this involves recompiling the module)

Bernhard

PS: Your "hang" is also: "Screen turns pitch black" ?