[CentOS] Broken upgrade to 5.2

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jun 25 09:25:19 UTC 2008

Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Ian Blackwell <ian at ikel.id.au> wrote:
>> I was upgrading a CentOS 5.1 box to 5.2 remotely, and I lost my ssh
>> connection to the server.  Now when I rerun the "yum upgrade" it fails due
>> to conflicts in the transaction check stage.  Before I dig myself a deeper
>> hole, I think I need advice.  The original error I received was a conflict
>> between python-devel and python, so I erased python-devel with the plan to
>> install it again after, but now I'm getting more errors and I think I might
>> be up to my neck and I've got that cold feeling on the back of my neck :-(
>>
>> I have the CentOS-Base repo enabled (base, updates, addons, extras &
>> centosplus) and CentOS-Media --- but no others.
>>
> ...snip...
>
> Could you post the output of the command "/bin/rpm -qa --qf
> '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm\n'" ?

I would add a | sort to that like this:

"/bin/rpm -qa --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm\n' | sort"

What this normally means is that you killed your yum in the middle of an
update, where it installed packages, but did not get to the clean up
stage ... this will lead to duplicated packages installed (in the rpm
database).

The above command will show if that is a problem, and we can use a
script to change the database to have the older values by deleting the
newer ones from the database and do the upgrade again.

When doing large updates, you should use "GNU screen", which will not
kill processes if you loose your connection and you can just reconnect
to the in process session.

you can get "GNU screen" (if it is not already installed) with the command:

yum install screen

here are some article on how to use screen:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_screen

http://www.rackaid.com/resources/linux-tutorials/general-tutorials/linux-screen.cfm