[CentOS] /usr/bin/id behavior since CentOS 5.2 upgrade

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jun 25 09:39:32 UTC 2008

kfx wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Since the upgrade to 5.2, when I log into my server with a ldap account
> I have these 2 errors messages:
> -bash: [: =: unary operator expected
> -bash: [: -le: unary operator expected
>
> After investigation, the trouble come from two scripts in /etc/profile.d:
> /etc/profile.d/krb5-workstation.sh
> /etc/profile.d/vim.sh
>
> The problem is with the test where the command "id" is involved, like:
> if [ `/usr/bin/id -u` = 0 ] ;
>
> If I add double quotes ("`/usr/bin/id -u`"), it will work again.
>
> Indeed, as a connected ldap user, the id command returns nothing when
> quoted:
> [ldapUser at server ~]$ /usr/bin/id -u
> 12345
> [ldapUser at server ~]$ `/usr/bin/id -u`
> [ldapUser at server ~]$
>
> As a normal user, the command behaves normally:
> [user at server ~]$ `/usr/bin/id -u`
> -bash: 1302: command not found
> [user at server ~]$ /usr/bin/id -u
> 1302
>

> I have modified theses two scripts but I am afraid it will break
> something in the future.
> Any idea on how to resolve this cleanly ?

This is a known upstream bug, please see the release notes:

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.2#head-447967c60eb305ef2c5dbbc3f4e8b3c4c5170632

As stated there, we have an nss_ldap package in the testing repo that
can fix this  issue, but it will not be fixed in the official repo until
upsream releases a fix.