[CentOS] CentOS roadmap/EPEL

admin

mick at mjhall.org
Wed Jun 25 10:56:37 UTC 2008

There are lots of exciting things happening in the CentOS ecosystem at
the moment, by which I mean "upstream" or "across stream" in Fedora and
RHEL.

I'm thinking of projects that equip RH-like EL in general for serious
entry into the enterprise, things like the Fedora Directory Server, and
RedHat's Emerging Technologies projects such as Cobbler, FreeIPA and
Ovirt. Also JBoss middleware.

Will these sort of packages end up in CentOS eventually, or are there
any major problems installing EPEL packages on CentOS?

I know CentOS is very popular in the web hosting world, but enterprise
grade directory servers, provisioning servers and virtualisation
technologies could also see greater take up of CentOS in areas like
local government and education for example (medium sized but slightly
cash-challenged organisations).

I suppose this is some kind of roadmap question, or a question about
using EPEL packages on CentOS. Personally, I'm interested in using these
"emerging technologies" in the local government environment.