[CentOS] bittorrent

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 25 11:12:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 00:16 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > AND HURRY UP! My new "fat" pipe (potential 1.25MB/sec) has finally edged
> > up to 85.5KB/sec. I need the help folks!  ;-)
> >

> Is that for uplink or downlink ? if you are downloading at 85k/sec there
> is something wrong with your setup, I can saturage a 100mbps link with
> the torrent with no problem ( there is atleast > 600mbps on offer for
> the i386 DVD at the moment ).

Downlink. I didn't think anything was wrong with my setup. On
non-torrent downloads I get a very good rate.

I suspected it was because I was "late to the show" and had just fired
it up. Somehow, the *real* announcement got by me in the clutter from
the false announcements from the unwashed masses. After I saw enough
posts making it look like an announcement had been made, I fired it up.
As it takes a little while for the torrent to discover enough peers, I
figured that was the reason.

Hmmm... But you might have something there. Maybe the fact that I
started one via the command line and the other through the UI? It
prompted me to go looking. The 1to6 zipped right along and is done. I
noticed that it had peer connections 8 of 8 from very early in its
lifetime while the DVD had 0 of 8 and has never gone above that.

I think I'll kill DVD and restart it. No help. Stop 1to6 upload restart
the whole shebang. Crap. Peers around 50. Inching up slowly, 71, 81, 88,
96... going back down... Now up to 133KB, 145, ... got as high as 545KB.

Oh well. Must be something about the DVD version. I do see that the 1to6
had peers active. DVD ha{s,d} inactive.

After reviewing the man pages again (the upmteenth time), no help.

--
Bill