[CentOS] bittorrent

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:54:56 UTC 2008

On 6/25/08, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > After reviewing the man pages again (the upmteenth time), no help.
> >

> might the default upload/download rate limits be bringing you down ? iirc,
> almost all BT clients have some limit or the other... rtorrent perhaps does
> not.
>
> - KB

I presume that as you have 1.25MB/s then you aren't on a T1 but are on dsl.
Maybe your ISP is "shaping" your traffic for you
you could run tcpdump for a short while and look for resets or window
size fluctuating suggesting artificial congestion

i know that using torrents has become problematic since my isp was
bought by one of the bigger players in the UK who seem to think that
all torrent traffic is there to be throttled irrespective of whether
it is legitimate

bad business model massively overselling bandwidth

mike