[CentOS] 5.2 upgrade mostly good (so far)

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jun 25 18:02:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:47:10PM -0500, Robert wrote:

> Olaf Mueller wrote:
> >fred smith wrote:

> >>would your "older" include an Athlon XP 2600+ ?
> >>
> >No, of course not. My older processors are pII, pIII and athlon, from
> >266MHz to 800MHz.
> >

> >regards
> >Olaf
> >
> As  an added data point, since the OP seems concerned about Athlon XP2600+,
> I am running that processor in an ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe m/b ACPI BIOS Rev
> 1008
> and it powered down just fine following the CentOS 5.2 upgrade.  Here's
> the first stanza of grub.conf:
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
>        root (hd0,0)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
>        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img

and here's mine (including Olaf's suggested change):

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet apm=power-off
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img

I have to say that adding the apm=power-off didn't change a thing, it
still doesn't shut off the power. Now, I can't say with certainty when
I last saw it do that, because i rarely shut down the box.  It runs my
mail server for the household, so it runs for months at a time, but I know
that it has in the past always worked whenever I've watched it go down.

I just booted the prevous kernel and noticed that it doesn't power off
either. Strange. I know it used to work (I've been using Centos, and
formerly Tao Linux on this board since it was new.)

This is a gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 board, nvidia chipset, nvidia graphics
card (old GeForce 4).

Any other advice you can come up with (while I go do some googling) would
be appreciated.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?