[CentOS] backup with dd

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 25 19:48:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:07 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
><snip>

> i've generally used dump(8) and restore(8) to image ext2/3FS....
> this can even be used to do an incremental dump although I rarely do that.
>
> while i've never tried this, in theory, if you're using LVM, you can
> snapshot a live filesystem, then dump the unmounted snapshot to get a
> clean image.

?? I've not done it for awhile, but I believe that the snapshot is taken
with the snapshot volume (the LVM snapshot volume, that is) mounted.
I've still got some scripts lying around that do this. The LVM snapshot
volume is not a complete snapshot.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you meant the *resulting* snapshot produced by using the snapshot
facilities, I apologize for wasting your time and bandwidth.

--
Bill