[CentOS] Lots of Centos 5.2 updates already

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 20:48:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I just completed my first 5.2 install.  For 'completeness' I 'tested out'
> yum update.
>
> Guess what?  For this minimum install, there were 43Mb of updates to
> download.
>
> So I went over to my local repo server and setup a /centos/5.2/updates
> directory and started the rsync to get all the updates:
>
> 155 files taking up 943Mb.  Already.  Wow!  Perhaps something to do with the
> initial build problem?  But anyone that does an install from the CDs/DVD and
> includes OpenOffice, then turns around and updates, is in for a scary
> supprise.  Yet another reason for the local repos....

This is actually perfectly normal. If you install C5.2 from the
install media you will get what upstream released a month ago. Between
then and now they released different updates. These are not but on the
install media but end up in the updates repository to make sure the
our and upstreams install media are as identical as possible.

And no, the updates repo only contains updates for the running minor
release. So currently it contains updates for 5.2.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83