[CentOS] Re: To upgrade or not

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jun 25 21:23:40 UTC 2008

on 6-25-2008 12:02 PM Michael A. Peters spake the following:
> My laptop is a Thinkpad T20 running CentOS 5.1
>
> The reason it is running CentOS at all is because Fedora Core 6 was
> workable on it, but Fedora 8 was a complete dog.
>
> Anyway - with all the new desktop stuff in CentOS 5.2 I'm wondering if I
> would be happier just leaving it at 5.1 rather than letting it update to
> 5.2.
>
> Will 5.1 continue to get security fixes if I leave it at 5.1 or do I
> need to update to 5.2 to get the patches?
>
> I'm planning to replace it at some point, just haven't seen T40s on eBay
> drop to my price range yet.
5.1 is not a different distro than 5.2. If you update 5.1 it becomes 5.2. You
don't go out and say "update to 5.2", you just yum update, and it becomes 5.2.
Think of it in Windows terms as Centos 5 sp1 (service pack 1) or Centos 5 sp2.
If you want to stay with 5.1 you no longer get updates.

Upstream has a setup for staying with a point release, but I don't think it
has trickled down to CentOS yet.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and