[CentOS] is centos update safe

John R Pierce

pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jun 26 18:35:59 UTC 2008

fabian dacunha wrote:
> i jus wanted to know if i could SAFELY apply the updates since its a live
> server running our companys primary DNS and mail server

noone has your exact configuration, so the only way to know if it will
for sure work for you would be to test it on a staging server configured
identically to your production server, or at least, make full backups of
your system so you can restore it if something goes wrong.

generally, updates are safe if your system is clean and doesn't have its
system components polluted by non-distribution code.